Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Road Trip: Weatherford, OK

My husband Mike and I decided on the spur of the moment to drive over to Weatherford last weekend. We were going to eat at the DOWNTOWN DINER, (580-774-1234; 123 W. Main) owned and operated by a hometown guy, Steve Ralston, who grew up at Fort Cobb. His younger sister Brenda was in my Girl Scout troop and his mother Marjorie, also was a good helper with Girl Scouts. (Actually, I have older stories than that. His grandfather Tom used to work for my dad, long before Steve was ever born, plus I have a lot of memories of his grandmother's beauty shop, but that's another story.) However, when we arrived in town, we discovered that Saturday is the diner's day to close early, at either 2 or 2:30. I can understand that, a lot of small towns in Oklahoma have realized they aren't all that busy on late Saturday afternoons and have taken to closing earlier. So, I will have to go into more detail about DOWNTOWN DINER on our next trip to Weatherford, since the last time I was there, I was eating, not taking notes. Let's just say there are a lot of "retro, down home country cooking" choices with great desserts. There is so much to pick from I had a hard time deciding, but was happy with my Kitty Chicken Salad and Key Lime Cake. I called the restaurant to get the hours so you wouldn't make the mistake I made. They are open from 6 am to 2 pm Tues, Wed, and Saturday. On Thursday and Friday, they're open from 6 to 8. Go, you'll be glad you did.

Eyewitness News 5 made Weatherford one  of their 2011 Helping Hands Road Trip visits today and I think they were planning to make Downtown Diner as one of their headquarters, I saw a list of the planned agendas the last time I ate there. (Unfortunately, I have lost track of time while I fell into cyber-land today and forgot to turn the station in time to catch the 5 pm news. However, by 6 p.m. they had moved on to another location. I'm sure they will have some links on their website about it as well.)

On our way to the Diner, we stopped at a new store I've been wanting to visit, JUNKPILE STYLE. It's owned and operated by Sheila Meyer. The location is at 1010 E. Main St., Weatherford. Her phone is 580-772-2272. Her e-mail is Sheilarickaz@msn.com.  I will post some pictures...just as soon as I figure out how to e-mail them to myself from my Blackberry so I can access them off my computer. (I don't think I've mentioned it, but my technological skills are about on par with turning on light-switches and operating a washer and dryer.) JUNKPILE STYLE's hours are Monday thru Saturday from 10 am to 5:30 pm.

We really enjoyed looking around at JUNKPILE STYLE.  Sheila has only been open since June, but her store already has a nice homey feel. She really has a nice eye for display arrangements and has found some  nice pieces. One piece I especially loved was a painted dining room table with wallpaper squares decopauged on top. If you have a dyed in the wool Bing Crosby fan in your life, she has a great picture you need to get them. She has old school maps, a Coke machine, and lots of re-purposed furniture.  She told me she enjoys repurposing stuff and redoing furniture. So if, you find yourself out on I-40 in Western Oklahoma, make a point to take the Weatherford exit and go exploring. I really need to go back to Weatherford when I can spend some more time and give you a list of other places to visit while you're there.

Oh, and since we couldn't eat at DOWNTOWN DINER, we had to force ourselves to eat at LUCILLE'S ROADHOUSE (lol), which is also another good place to eat. We both ordered the Chicken Fried Steak and therefore had to have a doggy carton to take home. We had enough food to eat 2 more meals afterward. I told Mike the next time we need to get one dinner with 2 plates and we would have had more room for the Blackberry pie.  Of course, if we hadn't had the Fried Pickle appetizer, we would have had more room. When you go to Weatherford, plan on spending enough time to eat lunch at the Diner and supper at the Roadhouse...or have an afternoon snack at the diner, they have homemade pies and cakes.

I broke one of my rules that day...I took my husband. He is junking-challenged and has a bit of a problem with it. However, he does enjoy a good meal, so he was able to still find some joy in the experience.  Although really, shouldn't my stimulating wit and conversation have been enough? I highly recommend you get out on the road and head to Weatherford some day. In addition to several antique/junk stores, there are also some museums, the Stafford Air and Space Museum (580-772-5871) and the Heartland Museum  (580-774-2212),  Plus, my mother likes it because they have a Super Wal-Mart and a Stage....something for everyone.

Although I don't have any pictures to add at this time, I did decide to upload Sheila's business card for JUNKYARD STYLE. I was quite taken with it, it's very eye-catching.

Please disregard the www.junkpilestyle.com address. Sheila says for now that she can be reached at the Sheilarickaz@msn.com and 580-772-2272.


No comments:

Post a Comment